Dealing With Traffic Charges

| March 26, 2013
Traffic Charges

Traffic Charges

Once you’ve been charged with traffic charges, it’s down to you (and possibly your solicitor) to decide whether you want to plead ‘guilty’ or ‘not guilty’ of the legal infringement. Obviously, if you feel unsure, it’s always wise to consult a legal professional. Dealing with traffic charges can be a real worry for many people who depend on their cars to get around or work. Make sure you don’t go into the court room blind.

Do Yourself A Favour

When you get stopped by the police or receive a letter through your door, don’t fly off the handle. In these situations, you’ll harm your case if you’re anything but civil and pleasant with the authorities. By all means, point out any false information and contest any accusations that you feel to be untrue, but keep the correspondence respectful.

Don’t make any admissions of guilt, when questioned. Anything you say will find its way to court and could count against you. That said, honesty is the best policy for everyone.

For mild accusations, your behaviour can mean the difference between the case going to court and you being let off with just a warning.

Collect any evidence that you can to support your innocence. This could mean pictures of obfuscated speed signs, if you’ve been accused of speeding, or witnesses that can attest that you weren’t in your car at the time of the law infringement.

What Sort Of Penalties Should You Expect?

It entirely depends on the charge. Usually, you can expect a fine and disqualification of your licence for a set amount of time. In some cases, you may duck the ban and only receive points on your licence. Drunk driving, for example, should carry the sentence of at least a 12 month ban, but for severe lawful transgressions, you could find yourself in prison.

Do You Have To Go To Court?

If you’ve been charged with something as simple as a speeding ticket, you could opt to pay the fine with no fuss. For everything else, if you’ve been issued a court hearing notice, you can choose to not answer the charge. Instead, you should submit a written plea to the court. However, if you’re sent a summons to attend court, there’s no opting out.

Where Can You Get Legal Advice?

Any reputable legal firm specialising in motor law can advise you how to fight your case. Alternatively, there’s always a lawyer of your choice. But you can also find general information online. Be sure to only visit reputable websites.

Do You Need A Lawyer?

It’s really up to you if you choose to use a drunk driving solicitor or not. A general rule of thumb is: if you’re set to face serious consequences, it’s worth investing in an attorney. Choose one which specialises in motor law.

On the other hand, you’re welcome to represent yourself, if you wish. This isn’t advisable, especially if you have no background in law, but it’s your call. It’s more appropriate to follow this route if the consequences aren’t too serious.

Dealing With Traffic Charges


Category: Save Money

About the Author ()

Comments are closed.